Friday, September 03, 2004

gazing into the future by starring into the past

During my undergraduate days at Buena Vista, I binged on new programming languages and paradigms. I constantly downloaded new compilers and interpreters for various languages. For each language, I would choose a fairly large problem to solve, and would then learn that language using the problem as a sort of final exam. By the time I was done with my B.S. degree, I knew over 15 different languages.

One language I never made it to was Smalltalk. Ralph Johnson's recent comments make me want to go back and pick it up.

Do you want to know what software will be like in ten years? In twenty years? Learn Smalltalk. - Ralph Johnson

It looks like downloading Squeak might be a good place to start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home